Saturday, January 31, 2009

I'm Going Have to Stop Calling Him "Little Bit"

He's growing up so fast! We started rice cereal on Tuesday & applesauce on Friday... and he's definitely acting like he would prefer to eat with a spoon all the time! Monday we'll try bananas... I just can't wait. This is a great adventure.

My sister-in-law gave us a Magic Bullet for Christmas. She made her own baby food for the girls when they were little & she thought we might enjoy trying it out. So, if anyone out there has any baby food making tips, please lay 'em on me!

The sad part of him growing so quickly is that we've come to the point when he will have to go into daycare. He's needing so much more attention than I can reasonably give him at work... and I guess I have to stop dragging my feet on the issue. We toured a place we like that is close to my office, has a caring staff & is part of the agency that provides Little Bit's speech therapy & physical therapy, so we believe they are better equipped to deal with his special needs than any number of other places might be.

One of the things I'm learning through all this is how to deal with unmet & unreasonable expectations... I swore I would NEVER put my kids in daycare & now find myself in the position of having to do it. I think this is the biggest thing holding me back from placing him - getting past the idea of someone else caring for "my" child and the very real probability that someone else will be the one to witness his "firsts"... Realistically, I should take all these feelings and use them as motivation to pray for his parents, who are missing ALL his "firsts"... after all, God wants to use all the situations in my life to make me more like Jesus, and caring about their needs is something He would do, right?

3 comments:

Lyllie said...

Oh yes & do I know this. I remember having to go back to work with her only being 8 weeks old. Although she was being left with someone I trusted, I felt the same way you do now. It's not easy. I remember calling daycare every break & any other time I could possibly get my hands on a phone {didn't have a cell phone back then & I worked in a factory}...It's not an easy thing to do---Little Bit is in the Lord's hands & He will care for him much better than any of us ever can. I am not going to tell you it gets easier as time goes on--because I would be lying. It never was easy leaving her with someone else. Yet He has so much grace for us that I believe you will find His peace.

Faith said...

Hi Co!
Yes, it is a tough decision when it comes to outside care. Since the baby has some special needs there are a couple of excellent "schools" in your area....I know Unity Sunshine is one and I think Beginnings has a center near you. I almost accepted a job with both!
The baby will be fine...it's us moms who have the struggle with the transition. I will pray that the Lord will give you a clear mind and that you will have peace regarding your decision. You sound like you are being wise in putting his needs first! And I will continue to pray for his biological parents. Thanks for sharing.

Homemanager said...

Having worked in two daycare centers, I know that the Lord will take good care of "Little Bit". :-) Besides, you know it is more about what is best for him and not about our ideals. God is so awesomely good! Rejoicing with you over how well "Little Bit" is growing. He is precious!
Love ya,
Swiss