Thursday, January 1, 2009

Exhaustion versus “Life, the Universe, & Everything”

Those who know me well know that, unlike Lilypad the Beagle, I am not a true optimist. I can, occasionally, see the good in difficulty & will once in a while have the grace to believe the best about someone's motives when things don't seem right... but, those are not my natural tendencies. By nature, I am somewhat cynical & distrusting, negative & moody. If it weren't for God in my life, I know these would be the characteristics everyone would see in me all the time.

I am wondering… how much of my current view of the world is tainted by exhaustion? I am beat-down, dragging myself along, on the verge of tears exhausted… and I realize this is a fairly common condition for parents of 3-month old babies. Now, those who have followed this blog know that “my” baby is actually a “loaner” while his parents deal with some critical issues at home – and I’m still working full time at an under-staffed not-for-profit entity while caring for him.

As I continue in this state of exhaustion, I’ve come to realize that things get worse when I consider all the things I can’t keep up with. My viewpoint becomes more negative. I feel like an utter, abysmal failure at home (because I can’t keep up with my housework, haven’t cooked many decent meals in the last couple months), at my marriage (because I can’t devote as much time & effort), at my job (because I’m constantly distracted by Little Bit’s need for food, cuddles, & dry diapers – so fall behind on projects & work a lot of overtime trying to make up for it), in mothering (because Little Bit is stuck at the office even longer & gets distracted attention from me while I’m on the phone or working on things), and at life in general (because I’m not keeping up with daily disciplines, am having some health issues & I don’t see things changing any time soon).

A good friend emailed me some encouraging scriptures she received in an email (from John Piper’s ministry “Desiring God”) the other day as a reminder to seek the Lord & to trust Him. It was good medicine to help counteract all the troubles I am most likely to dwell upon. Here are several that may encourage you too:

Promises of Answered Prayer to Encourage Us to Pray with Hope

Jeremiah 29:11-13 “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. 13 You will seek me and find me. When you seek me with all your heart,”

Matthew 7:7-11 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? 11 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!”

Isaiah 65:24 “Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear.”

Lamentations 3:25 “The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.”

Psalm 145:18-19 “The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. 19 He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them.”

James 4:8 “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.”

Psalm 37:4-5 “Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. 5 Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act.”

Psalm 50:15 “Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”

Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.”

Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

4 comments:

Faith said...

Awesome scriptures.
Yes, working full time outside the home is hard with a newborn. I had to learn (I only worked full time with a toddler though, not a newborn) to let some things go. Who cared if the baseboards didn't get dusted? as long as the clothes were clean, floors were vacuumed once a week and dishwasher worked, I was golden. The children are waaaayyy more important than the housework!
And..(sorry this is long) I love all the scriptures you have here. I also did a post about Hope...feel free to come check it out and add your thoughts! HAPPY NEW YEAR, Co

Pop Quiz Giver said...

ooo, dishwasher... let me stop right there before I covet... too late :~)

Homemanager said...

Sis,
You are one of the most diligent and faithful woman I know. Far from a failure in any of those things that you mentioned...in fact, I see a wise, caring, overcoming, faithful, godly woman! I'm proud to know you, my friend...

Pop Quiz Giver said...

Thanks K... I'm overwhelmed. While I want to be that faithful, wise woman, I am rather hard on myself (something that was pointed out to me by a previous boss). I tend to see the areas that don't meet my expectations (weight I need to lose, Bible studies unfinished, cobwebs in corners, a wife who's "too tired" for her husband, a dog that's overdue for a bath...) and these things tend to eclipse the "good stuff" (a happy boy who's just starting to laugh, fresh sheets on the bed, a yummy meal in my belly, friends who encourage me and drive me to seek after the Lord more and more as I go on). God is good :~)

love, me