Sunday, December 14, 2008

More Responsibility = Less Sin?

I had a weird realization in the shower this morning. Little Bit has been with us for 2 months, as of tomorrow. And, I've sinned less since he's been here... well, at least in one area that I've struggled with on and off for years. I don't think he brought "deliverance" in his bag of baby stuff... but, rather, he's kept me too busy and too tired to get into trouble.

Now, I am being deliberately vague about this, for a few reasons:
  1. pride (yup, don't want people to think ill of me),
  2. common sense (it is not a specific "thou shalt not" type of sin, but rather something that I, personally, feel convicted about, though I have friends who think it's permissible)
  3. and, I wonder if there might be a more universal truth at work here (proving the old saying "idle hands make devil's work").
This particular struggle is one that I have, in recent years, committed to keep accountable to my husband about. It seems that prior to taking communion most months (our church celebrates communion once a month), I find that I need to seek him out to confess my sin(s). Now, a more mature woman would probably run right to him and confess right away, you know, along the lines of "don't let the sun go down on your anger"... but, I'm generally too ashamed to do so. Yet, accountability demands of me that I keep clean accounts and the self-imposed deadline of Communion Sunday seems to keep me on track to make sure I don't let it go too terribly long without having the dreaded conversation.

So, I am thrilled that things have been going better, and amazed that I'm just noticing it, and thanking God that He's provided me with a great distraction from my own selfish thoughts and ways... Maybe I needed Little Bit as much as he needed me.

3 comments:

Faith said...

Praise His Name!
I know for my own life, it is often my children, either directly or indirectly, who cause me to stop. ponder. repent. God uses the children that is for sure! Loved reading this as it shows your heart and open honesty..thanks for sharing! Come on over to see some pics of the show...sorry we missed you!

Pop Quiz Giver said...

I've been amazed to recognize some of my own traits (mostly impatience, & self-centeredness) in my "furry daughter" Lilypad. I'm all-too-quick to excuse myself of these things, but seeing them in her helps me realize the impact I must have on others when I act that way.

I know the Lord wants to use everything in my life to help me grow closer to Him & find it incredible when I actually "get the message"... I'm hoping to become more teachable as I age, and am sometimes disappointed that it takes me so long to catch on. Thankfully God is patient with me!

Faith said...

Amen...God IS patient...no doubt about that for me! And I praise Him for that plus His Mercy!
Saw your email...thanks!
I do have more pics posted so feel free to come on over to view them. Enjoy your Christmas...we should try to get together!